U.S. Trucking Company Setup

If you’re looking to get authorities and permits for compliant travel in the U.S. you’ve come to the right place. We work with you every step of the way to simplify your set-up and get you ready to hit the road!


U.S. FMCSA operating authority, U.S. DOT Number, Process Agents

In order for a U.S. based trucking company to travel into other states you will require a FMCSA operating authority that grants you permission to travel throughout the country. The FMCSA issues each new registrant a U.S. DOT Number as a result and this is used to identify your company by all areas of the industry including law enforcement. An active 48 state process agent is required to be filed with the FMCSA for instances when state government documents are issued to your company.

IFTA Fuel Tax

International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) License and Decals. Data processing, reporting, record-keeping & audit representation services.

Do you travel outside of your home jurisdiction and have a vehicle with a registered Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) or a total registered GVW when used in combination with a trailer of more than 26,000lbs (11,797kgs) or have 3 axles regardless of weight? If so, you need an IFTA license and decals for your vehicles. IFTA allows registered interjurisdictional carriers to get one license, issued by their base jurisdiction, to report and pay motor fuel taxes to a single jurisdiction. As an IFTA licensee, your report your fuel purchases and jurisdictional travel within one month after the end of every quarter. Interested in how you can benefit from over 25 years of regulatory compliance knowledge or just want to know more about the IFTA program? Request a quote for our IFTA processing service.

Weight Distance Tax Accounts

For travel to or through Kentucky, New Mexico, New York and Oregon

Weight Distance Tax (WDT) is imposed on owners, operators and registrants of interstate commercial vehicles with a declared gross vehicle weight in excess of 26,000lbs. If you fit this description you will be required to track, report and pay tax based on your fleets distance in the above jurisdictions. Contact us today to learn how TransReport proactively manages your WDT accounts, distributes tax payments on your behalf and maintains an accurate vehicle inventory.

IRP Vehicle Licensing

International Registration Plan (IRP) plating for your vehicles. We work with your home jurisdiction to get your vehicles plated quickly.

Travelling outside of your home jurisdiction and have vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of 11,797kgs (26,000lbs) or with 3 or more axles regardless of weight? You require IRP registration and plating. IRP distributes registration fees for commercial vehicles among member jurisdictions based on the number of miles carriers travel in other jurisdictions. Want to know more about the IRP program and our IRP licensing services?

SCAC Codes

Travelling in the U.S.? The Standard Carrier Alpha Code is a unique two to four letter code used to identify transportation companies.

A SCAC code is required for U.S. Customs entry, Electronic Data Interchange (EDI), when doing business with many shippers and when doing business with the U.S. Government.

Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)

Operating a Commercial Motor Vehicle in and through the United States? You'll likely require UCR.

UCR classifies a commercial motor vehicle as a power unit that is operated in commerce and has a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of 10,001lbs or more. UCR Fees are determined by the total number of commercial motor vehicles that you operate and are used by participating states to support their safety program and USDOT officer training. Contact us today to learn more about UCR fees and our UCR filing service!

U.S. Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT)

If you operate trucks with a gross weight over 55,000 lbs you must file HVUT form 2290.

Yearly filing for Form 2290 filers is July 1 through June 30 each year. You must file form 2290 for the month the taxable vehicle is first used on public highways during the reporting period. First time filer and do not have an Employer Identification Number (EIN)? No problem. We will work on your behalf to obtain your EIN and file your form 2290 to ensure you are compliant.

Electronic Logging Devices (ELD)

If you are required to keep a record of duty status, your vehicles must be equipped with a compliant ELD. Don’t worry; we have you covered there too with Omnitracs XRS.

The ELD Mandate requires all motor carriers operating in the U.S. to have ELD’s installed in each of their vehicles to track driver’s hours of service. While this can be viewed as simply an added expensive for carriers, it is wise to look at the bigger picture of what this technology can do to improve the performance of your fleet. Many ELD solutions come equipped with a full suite of features that offer much more than driver’s hours of service. GPS tracking, driving scanning and electronic signatures, electronic DVIRs, fuel tax reporting resources and a plethora of alerts/reporting options to name just a few. Identifying the top and bottom drivers based on metrics such as MPG, Speeding miles %, hard brakes and high speed brakes is just one way companies are improving their fleet’s performance and making a return on their investment.


Testing the waters to see if operating a trucking company is right for you? Contact us today to learn more.