IRP Truck Licencing
The International Registration Plan (IRP) is a registration reciprocity agreement among states of the United States and provinces of Canada to provide payment of license fees on the basis of fleet distance operated in various jurisdictions. Under the provisions of the IRP, motor carriers can operate on an inter-jurisdictional basis in any IRP member jurisdiction, provided they have met all of the regulatory requirements.
What vehicles are required to register under the IRP?
An apportionable/prorated vehicle is defined as any vehicle that is used or intended for use in two or more member jurisdictions and is used for the transportation of persons for-hire or designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property, and:
- has two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight in excess of 26,000 pounds (11,793.401 kilograms) or
- has three or more axles, regardless of weight, or
- is used in combination, when the gross vehicle weight of such combination exceeds 26,000 pounds (11,793.401 kilograms)
Our IRP Licencing Services:
Full Service - All IRP licencing is done by our team
- Full service includes our handling of the entire process*
- Our team attends the IRP appointment to pay for and pick up your plates, ownerships and cab cards
- We deliver to your door
Partial Service - Our team completes the paperwork
- Partial service requires the customer to arrange for an appointment at a regional IRP office
- Customer pays for and pickup plates, ownerships and cab cards.
- We provide instructions and MTO contact information
*The Full Service plan is exclusive to motor carriers based in Ontario. We do all the work so you can continue to focus on the profitability of your fleet.